ID-000 SmartCard Form Factor

Grant Olson kgo at grant-olson.net
Sat Jan 29 06:28:37 CET 2011

On 01/28/2011 09:42 PM, David Tomaschik wrote:
> While I realize that the ID-1 (full size) cards can be used with card
> readers that support PIN entry, are there any other
> advantages/disadvantages to one size over the other? At present, I feel
> like the ID-000 form factor has more advantages because of the
> portability and the lower cost of the readers.

As far as the cards themselves, you can used the ID-000 cards in a
full-sized reader or pop the chip out.  So if you have any doubt there,
you can get the ID-000 card and keep your options open.

I don't think the readers make that much of a difference either.

In theory, it's nice that the ID-000 readers will fit on your keychain,
and you can use them anywhere.  But in practice, personally I'm either
working at home or have my laptop bag with me.  I'm not using a smart
card at a computer lab or a library or something like that.

In theory, a full-sized card and reader would be nice if you used
multiple cards, like a separate ID to sign software or something, or
different users on the same computer, but most people probably don't
have to worry about that.  A full-sized reader also has a cord, which
can be convenient if it's hard to get to your USB ports, instead of
climbing behind some desk every day.

If you're already leaning towards a thumb-drive sized reader, that
should work just fine.