Did I just fry my smartcard?

Grant Olson kgo at grant-olson.net
Sat Jan 29 19:54:11 CET 2011

This is actually a spare card I was just messing around with, not my
main one.  It's a standard OpenPGP v2.0 card from g10.

I wanted to reset the card to the factory defaults and mess around with
the onboard key generation.  I issued the series of commands listed
here, among other places:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gnupg/users/49737

After that, the card wasn't reset, was locked out, and it won't do
anything useful.  If I run a command like gpg --card-status, I'm
prompted with:

gpg: detected reader `SCM SCR 3310 [CCID Interface] 00 00'
gpg: pcsc_connect failed: sharing violation (0x8010000b)
gpg: apdu_send_simple(0) failed: locking failed
Please insert the card and hit return or enter 'c' to cancel:
gpg: pcsc_connect failed: sharing violation (0x8010000b)
gpg: pcsc_connect failed: sharing violation (0x8010000b)
gpg: apdu_send_simple(0) failed: locking failed

And if I try to issue the apdu sequence manually, nothing responds.

grant at johnsmallberries:~$ gpg-connect-agent
> scd apdu 00 44 00 00
ERR 100663351 Invalid value <SCD>
> scd apdu 00 e6 00 00
ERR 100663351 Invalid value <SCD>
> scd serialno
ERR 100663351 Invalid value <SCD>

Does anyone have any tips for resetting the card, or am I out of luck?

On the plus side, I can confirm that the Admin Password Lockout does
indeed work as advertised.  I've always wanted to give that a try.  ;-)

-Grant