two out of three keys.gnupg.net keyservers down?

Jerry gnupg.user at seibercom.net
Mon Jan 31 12:14:23 CET 2011

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 18:00:55 +0100
Mark Wielaard <mjw at gnu.org> articulated:

> Hi,
>
> After struggling with sending and retrieving keys for several days I
> finally noticed that keys.gnupg.net uses DNS round robin to provide
> you with a keyserver. But two out of the three servers are down.
>
> $ host keys.gnupg.net
> keys.gnupg.net has address 209.234.253.170
> keys.gnupg.net has address 129.128.98.22
> keys.gnupg.net has address 193.174.13.74
>
> 209.234.170 (zimmermann.mayfirst.org) works.
>
> 129.128.98.22 (pgp.srv.ualberta.ca) and 193.174.13.74
> (pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de) are both down.
>
> Since keys.gnupg.net is the default keyserver name used could the
> broken keyservers be removed from the DNS round robin pool?
>
> The gnupg user experience is really bad otherwise. If you are lucky to
> hit the one that works everything is fine, but two out of three times
> you hit a bad one and things just stall and hang for ages.

In essence, I reported this exact same problem last week. I am not sure
why the unresponsive servers cannot be fixed; however, as a work
around, I simple started using a new server as my default:

	keyserver hkp://wwwkeys.us.pgp.net

This may or may not be of any help to you though. Obviously, the correct
solution is to get all of the servers back on line.

--
Jerry ✌
GNUPG.user at seibercom.net