Is the OpenPGP model still useful?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu Jul 7 05:47:15 CEST 2011

On 7/6/2011 7:52 PM, Milo wrote:
> Are you sure about that? then find a person who will tell you that (you like
> thought experiments, don't you?) during obvious live threat situation
> feels secure. You can imaging what will be a common anwser, right?

You must not know many United States Marines.  They're a screwy bunch.
They kind of like getting shot at: it keeps them on their toes.  On the
other side of the coin, consider someone suffering from combat-related
post traumatic stress disorder, for whom there is literally no
environment that allows them to feel safe.  One group of people finds
even "obvious live threat situations" to be invigorating and they feel
quite confident about their ability to thrive in such situations, and
another group of people considers all situations, even "obviously" safe
ones, to be mortal threats.

I think we ought be very careful in making universal statements about
what all people agree upon with respect to security.  It seems to me to
be quite likely there are no such things.

As with so many things in life, IDOYTM.  Define your threat model, and
then we can talk about "coherency" and "security."  Not before then.