GPG on Windows 2003

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Jul 20 00:14:07 CEST 2011

> I have GPG installed on a Windows 2003 server (32-bit).  Looking in the
> install folder, it appears that it is GPG version 1.2.2.

I would recommend upgrading.  GnuPG currently comes in two 'flavors': the
1.4.x track, and the 2.0.x track.  Speaking very broadly, 1.4.x is better
for servers, while 2.0.x is more suited for desktop deployments.  Which one
you choose doesn't really matter so much, so long as you upgrade to either
1.4.11 or 2.0.17.  :)

Version 1.2.2 is *old* -- like eight years old.  It doesn't track the
latest changes to the OpenPGP standard, and many bugfixes have come and
gone since then.

> 2) Do I need to upgrade to a more recent version of GPG?  I see there is
> now something called "gpg4win 2.1.0".  When I originally installed GPG
on
> this server, I do not recall that being available.  Is it actually GPG
> version 2.1.0, or is it GPG version 1.4.11 in gpg4 win version 2.1.0?
And
> can I install this without wiping out my existing keychains, etc?

Gpg4win may be in version 2.1, but the version of GnuPG shipped with it is
2.0.17 (I believe).

Existing key files and so forth may be migrated to a 2.x installation
quite easily.