GPG on Windows 2003

Crain, Jared Jared.Crain at alterian.com
Tue Jul 19 21:09:33 CEST 2011

Hi, all.  Please CC me on any replies, as I am not subscribed to the list.

I have GPG installed on a Windows 2003 server (32-bit).  Looking in the install folder, it appears that it is GPG version 1.2.2.

I am having an issue when I try to decrypt a file whose decrypted size is greater than 2 GB.  When encrypted, the file is smaller as it is encrypted and compressed.  When I run the decryption, no error is output (output matches for files whose decrypted size is less than 2 GB; files that are decrypted successfully/completely).  If the decrypted size is over 2 GB, the decryption takes place, and a file of exactly 2 GB is created.  I have read elsewhere that GPG can decrypt files of effectively unlimited size.  Here are my questions:

1) I wonder if this is related to the server being a 32-bit windows server (since each application can only address up to 2 GB of memory).  However, it appears that GPG streams the decrypted results out, not holding the result in memory.  Also, when watching the system performance while GPG is decrypting, I do not see a spike in memory usage.  Is there something GPG is doing that might cause it to hit this limit?  If it is GPG hitting some sort of 2 GB limit because of the OS, does anyone know of any work-arounds?

2) Do I need to upgrade to a more recent version of GPG?  I see there is now something called "gpg4win 2.1.0".  When I originally installed GPG on this server, I do not recall that being available.  Is it actually GPG version 2.1.0, or is it GPG version 1.4.11 in gpg4 win version 2.1.0?  And can I install this without wiping out my existing keychains, etc?

Many thanks for any feedback you can provide.

-Jared Crain
jared.crain at alterian.com

Jared Crain
Software Developer

+1 661 367 9966
+1 818 442 1752
Jared.Crain at alterian.com

Alterian | www.alterian.com | LSE:ALN

25152 Springfield Court, Suite 360, Valencia, CA 91355, USA | t: +1 661 367 9970 | f: +1 661 367 9969

[eBook] The 'How To' of Inbound Marketing: Four easy to follow guidelines for creating a winning inbound marketing strategy.<http://socialmedia.alterian.com/campaigns/how-to-inbound-video>

[Download] Creating Engaging Email - Segmentation and Targeting eBook by David Daniels, CEO of The Relevancy Group<http://email.alterian.com/campaigns/CEE_Ebook2_Video2?x_lf_kt=2&_x_lf_kvid=7aab3d85-1bc8-4ac0-9e1d-bb7b40323305>

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. When addressed to our clients any opinions or advice contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in the governing Alterian client engagement contract. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender and delete the message. Although Alterian has taken reasonable steps to ensure that this communication and any attachments are free from computer virus, you are advised to take your own steps to ensure that they are actually virus free.

Alterian plc is a Company registered in England and Wales, number 04007930, Registered office: The Spectrum Building, Bond Street, Bristol, BS1 3LG