Where are those stubs..

J. Ottosson j-001 at ottosson.nu
Thu Jul 21 17:55:48 CEST 2011

On 21 Jul 2011 at 14:58, Werner Koch wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 21:48, peter at digitalbrains.com said:
>
> > AFAIK, you need to get the public key imported in GnuPG before you do
> > --card-status. So you first download your own public key from a
> > keyserver or a website or a USB stick, you don't get it from the
> > smartcard. Only when GnuPG already has the public key, will it create
> > the secret key stubs when it sees your smartcard.
>
> Right.  This is also the reason why we have the URL field on the card. For
> example on my card:
>
>   URL of public key : finger:wk at g10code.com
>
> Now if I run "gpg --card-edit" I just need to enter "fetch" and gpg will
> fetch the key from that URL.

Thank you both for that piece of info, it was the missing information I think.

In a real world scenario this wouldn't be an issue (and hardly noticed) but in
this case I was testing this specifically and only, and didn't see any notice of
the pubkey having to be imported first; I'm unsure if those pieces of
information have been put together earlier in the replies I've read.

Thanks.

/J