Is the OpenPGP model still useful?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sat Jul 23 20:43:24 CEST 2011

On 7/23/11 2:36 PM, Marcio B. Jr. wrote:
> Secrecy sharing constitutes sort of a "symmetric fact" when more than
> one instance is involved and you ask me for a citation?

Yes.  I am quite certain that if, say, Daniel Gillmor were to assert
"the Earth is round" and I were to ask him for a citation, he would
refer me to Eratosthenes's trigonometric analysis of the angles of
sunlight incidence in Syene and Alexandria, and would not find my
request to be in the slightest bit unusual.

There is no fact, however obvious, which is guaranteed to be obvious to
everyone.  When people ask for citations for "obvious facts," the only
thing it means is it is not obvious to them.  The courteous and genteel
thing to do is to provide a citation, so that the person in question
might learn.

What you're saying is at odds with everything I've come to learn about
DHKEA.  What you're saying is extremely nonobvious to me.  Please
present a citation for your assertion that DHKEA shares secrets more
than another competing protocol.