How secure are smartcards?

Mike Cardwell gnupg at lists.grepular.com
Mon Jul 25 19:18:29 CEST 2011

On 25/07/2011 16:45, Werner Koch wrote:

>> adversary, and the key isn't encrypted on the smart card. Then they can
>> just "read" it off, if they get hold of it. In that circumstance, you
>
> That might be true with the v1 card which used a pretty old chip.  The
> v2 card uses a modern chip and card OS and thus the effort to read off
> the key wouldn't be worth what you will gain from it.

That is reassuring. Although, I'd be happier if I could find a technical
description of the feasibility of such an attack. But if one doesn't
exist, it doesn't exist.

--
Mike Cardwell https://grepular.com/  https://twitter.com/mickeyc
Professional  http://cardwellit.com/ http://linkedin.com/in/mikecardwell