Smartcard durability?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jul 28 11:30:45 CEST 2011

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 05:56, rjh at sixdemonbag.org said:
> Are there any particular problems the durability of a smartcard,
> particularly an OpenPGP card?  Are there any damage concerns from wallet

It is not different than with any other chip card.  If you immerse the
card into water only the contacts my corrode.  Use an eraser to clean
them.  If you bend the card to strong the chip may get an microfissure
and stop working.

I have several chip cards in my purse for may years now without any
problems.  Granted most money cards still use the magstripe but at least
my OpenPGP card and my RFID based season ticket are chip-only cards.

As an alternative you may use an ID-000 (GSM card size) card along with
an USB reader and put it on your key ring.  I had one on mine for at
least 4 years and it surived summer, winter, snow and sun without any
problems.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner