Assuan processing failed

Devin Fisher lists at meumonus.com
Thu Jun 9 20:51:54 CEST 2011

Hi,
I'm running GnuPG 1.4.9 on Windows. I'm trying to cache a passphrase using gpg-preset-passphrase so I can batch decrypt a couple hundred files. I've successfully decrypted the by manually entering the passphrase. However I'd like to cache the passphrase so that I can script the decryption.

I started gpg-agent as a daemon and get the following output:
Set GPG_AGENT_INFO=C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\gnupg\S.gpg-agent;948;1

The log file shows:
(Omitting datestamp & timestamp) gpg-agent[pid] listening on socket (path to)\S.gpg-agent
Datestamp timestamp gpg-agent[pid] DBG returning notify handle 00000734

I run the command:
gpg-preset-passphrase --passphrase (passphrase) --preset (hexcode)

and it outputs:
Gpg-preset-passphrase: problem with the agent
Gpg-preset-passphrase: caching passphrase failed: Invalid response

Checking the log again I see:
gpg-agent[pid] Assuan processing failed: IPC read error

How can I correct this error?

Thanks!

-Devin