GPG encryption and decryption in windows

Steve Strobel steve.strobel at link-comm.com
Fri Jun 10 18:39:48 CEST 2011

>My question is how to get rid of the passphrase prompt during
>runtime in windows platform?

This may be completely unrelated, but I also ran into a problem where
I was prompted for a passphrase when the real issue was something
else.  Running on an Ubuntu host trying to connect to and Ubuntu
server running on Amazon web services:

ssh -i keyfile.pem ubuntu at mydomain.net
Enter passphrase for key 'keyfile.pem': <I just hit enter>
Permission denied (publickey).

sudo ssh -i keyfile.pem ubuntu at vtrunk.net
<this worked without any prompt because used sudo>

The keyfile was created without a passphrase, but trying to use it
when I didn't have permission for the host's filesystem caused a
prompt for a passphrase that AFAIK doesn't exist.  I don't see how or
why using sudo had anything to do with a passphrase for the
key.  When the key was created without a passphrase, it seems wrong
for gpg to prompt for one regardless of what else might be wrong.

I guess what I am suggesting is that the logic that causes gpg to
prompt for a passphrase either has a problem or my understanding of
it does.  Whether the problem you are experiencing on a Windows
system is related at all is a question I can't answer.

>Thanks
>Sethukumar

Steve

---