how encrypt data/text stream instead of a file?

Doc Webb DocWebb at e-business-hosting.com
Sat Jun 25 20:03:34 CEST 2011

Sorry if I am out of line contacting you by email but I didn't see any other
way to ask a question.

I am a newbie Perl programmer and I want to pipe plain text to GPG and have
it return the text encrypted.

I have read quite a few articles and came up with this chunk of code on my
own BUT it doesn't work and I was wondering if you can tell me what I am
doing wrong...

    my $public_key = "nameofpublickey";
    my $plain_text = "this is a test message";
    my $gpg_command = '/usr/local/bin/gpg';
    open (GPGCOMMAND, "|$gpg_command");
    my $encrypted_text = print GPGCOMMAND $plain_text | '$gpg_command -ea -r
$public_key';
    close (GPGCOMMAND);
    print "encrypted text=$encrypted_text";

It prints: encrypted text=1