timestamp notation @gnupg.org

Jerome Baum jerome at jeromebaum.com
Mon Jun 27 15:31:56 CEST 2011

> What I miss is a real use case for it.  Is there someone implementing a
> general purpose time stamping service?  IIRC, there used to be some 10
> years or more ago. Still any?  I don't know.

There are a lot of general purpose time stamping services, such as
<www.itconsult.co.uk/stamper.htm> -- though that is the only one I
know of that is OpenPGP-based.

> We have way too many features in OpenPGP and GPG with the majority of
> them not being used.  Adding a yet another new feature should only be
> done if there is real world need for it.

I think the timestamp-only notation has a disputable use-case, but
timestamp-interval doesn't. If this were added to GnuPG I'd definitely
enable it (and probably set the resolution to P1D). The OP gave a very
good use case when he started this thread, and we've seen other cases
where a fake or lower-resolution timestamp would be useful.

While I didn't see/read the ages-old thread that was mentioned before,
you allegedly even agreed to implement something roughly equivalent in
the past.

--
Jerome Baum
tel +49-1578-8434336
email jerome at jeromebaum.com
web www.jeromebaum.com
--
PGP: A0E4 B2D4 94E6 20EE 85BA E45B 63E4 2BD8 C58C 753A
PGP: 2C23 EBFF DF1A 840D 2351 F5F5 F25B A03F 2152 36DA