gpg-agent asks for ssh passphrase, although the private key has no passphras set

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Jun 27 16:08:39 CEST 2011

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 21:29, gitter at Safe-mail.net said:

> I am using gpg-agent to manage my one and only ssh key. I generate my
> (private) ssh key via openpgp2ssh from my private gpg
> key. Unfortunately, although my private gpg key is not password
> protected, gpg-agent asks me for a passphrase (via a nice X dialog)
> before I ssh to my server. Entering nothing works fine, and I

the dialog should have asked you to protect your key in the GnuPG system
- that is to enter a new passphrase.  You have to give that passphrase.

It is possible to change that passphrase but there is no direct command
line interface for it.  However, what you really want is something like

=====
default-cache-ttl-ssh 7200
max-cache-ttl-ssh 86400
=====

in ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf.  This caches the passphrase for 2 hours if
it is not used or even if used for not longer than a day.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner