signed messages take an eternity to be formatted by evolution

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Wed Mar 9 15:27:04 CET 2011

On Mar 9, 2011, at 3:12 AM, Ben McGinnes wrote:

> On 9/03/11 5:52 PM, Bernhard Kleine wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I am using ubuntu 10.10, gpg and evolution. And I am reading this
>> mailing list for quite some time. Lately to read this list is a pain
>> since many keys are no longer found on the key server(s) I have entered
>> into the keyserver list and for any mail thus signed with an unknown key
>> I have to wait till the keyservers time limit is reached.
>
> Have you tried using an alternate keyserver?  Perhaps
> pool.sks-keyservers.net would be better.

Strange.  Keyservers should not need to time out if they do not have a key.  They should be able to return a no-answer response immediately.  It looks like something is not healthy on wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net (and it only has one server in the pool), so pool.sks-keyservers.net will probably improve things.

Incidentally, the keyserver timeout is configurable.  If you want to stop waiting earlier, you can change this by sticking "keyserver-options timeout=XXXX" (XXXX is in seconds) in your config file.

David