signed messages take an eternity to be formatted by evolution

Bernhard Kleine bernhard.kleine at gmx.net
Wed Mar 9 17:31:00 CET 2011

Am Donnerstag, den 10.03.2011, 00:54 +1100 schrieb Ben McGinnes:
> On 10/03/11 12:18 AM, Bernhard Kleine wrote:
> >
> > well, I took a mail from Grant Olson from this list:
> > gpg: ASCII-Hülle: Version: GnuPG v2.0.18-gitcb2f55e (GNU/Linux)
> > gpg: ASCII-Hülle: Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -
> > http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
> > gpg: Signatur am Di 01 Mär 2011 03:20:12 CET mit RSA Schlüssel, ID
> > A18A54D6, erfolgt
> > gpg: Schlüssel A18A54D6 von hkp Server wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net anfordern
> > gpg: Schlüsselserver hat das Zeitlimit überschritten
> > gpg: Unterschrift kann nicht geprüft werden: Öffentlicher Schlüssel
> > nicht gefunden
> >
> > I checked per hand with sks-keyservers.net and the key was not found.
> > There are several mails from him within the last days/week. Which
> > keyserver do you use?
>
> I use pool.sks-keyservers.net and, taking Grant as the example, I get
> this:
>
> bash-3.2$ gpg --search-keys A18A54D6
> gpg: searching for "A18A54D6" from hkp server pool.sks-keyservers.net
> (1)	Grant T. Olson (pikimal) <grant at pikimal.com>
> 	Grant T. Olson (Personal email) <kgo at grant-olson.net>
> 	Grant T. Olson (Grant - home email) <olsongt at verizon.net>
> 	  2048 bit RSA key E3B5806F, created: 2010-01-11
> Keys 1-1 of 1 for "A18A54D6".  Enter number(s), N)ext, or Q)uit > q
> bash-3.2$
>
> So his key is on there (as is mine).  That address is, of course, a
> pool of multiple servers which are accessed in a round-robin fashion.
> What was the error you received when searching for the Grant's key on
> sks-keyservers.net?
>

> Regards,
> Ben

Some strange things have happened:

first: on the interactive sks-keyservers.net page I looked up the key
A18A54D6 and it did not show any result. Afterwards I typed olson grant
and got several keys listed but not the one we have been looking for
here A18....

second: I have seahorse as the gui tool to enter keyservers and keys.
However, I removed any other keyserver but pool.sks-keyservers.net.
After that I type your suggestion:

gpg --search-keys A18A54D

and to my surprise it still looked up wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net with no result.
This leaves us with two questions:

1. why do I not get a response for A18A54D6 on sks-keyservers.net?
2. where do we have to tune gpg and evolution on ubuntu 10.10 to look
for the correct keyserver?

Bernhard