GPG and PGP

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Tue Mar 15 20:53:02 CET 2011

On 16/03/11 2:29 AM, Aaron Toponce wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 04:14:25PM +0100, Johan Wevers wrote:
>> I don't know, but I do know that adding IDEA does not complicate or
>> bloat GnuPG.
>
> You're probably right. I guess I just don't understand supporting dead,
> deprecated, proprietary technology, bloat or no bloat.

It's simple, data which may have been encrypted 15+ years ago may
still have value to the people who encrypted it, even if they have
since chosen to move from older programs (e.g. PGP 2.x) for their
current needs.

This is why I join the clamour of support for inclusion of IDEA when
the patent expires.  It's also why I added the IDEA module when
compiling my current copy of GPG 1.4.11.  I've got encrypted files
that date back that far and I'm not sure which of them use IDEA and
which use CAST5.  Obviously I'd prefer to still be able to access my
data when I choose to.

Regards,
Ben