GPG and PGP

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Mar 15 21:16:59 CET 2011

On 3/15/11 3:53 PM, Ben McGinnes wrote:
> It's simple, data which may have been encrypted 15+ years ago may
> still have value to the people who encrypted it, even if they have
> since chosen to move from older programs (e.g. PGP 2.x) for their
> current needs.

This may not be so much an argument for IDEA's inclusion as it might be
an argument for data migration.  How long will we support RFC1991?
There are really only two interesting answers: "forever" and "for a while."

If forever, then sure, IDEA support, v3 keys, etc., etc.

If not-forever, then we should start talking about when precisely we'll
stop supporting RFC1991, and how we can help users migrate away.