GPG and PGP

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 16 09:16:56 CET 2011

Op 15-3-2011 21:57, Ingo Klöcker schreef:

> Why migrate away? Even if GnuPG 3 stops supporting RFC1991 there will
> always be GnuPG 1 and GnuPG 2 around to decrypt ancient data and verify
> signatures made decades ago.

If that is the case, you could also say we still have pgp 2.x arround
including source code.

> That's the beauty of Free Software. Nobody
> can take it away and since it's Open Source it will always be possible
> to compile it on new OSes (provided we will be able/allowed to install
> what we want on those OSes).

Current OSes pose already a problem. PGP 2 did not provide nagtive
binaries for win32 so I compiled them myself, which was easy (just make
a new project file in VC5, add all C files and press compile). Added
benefit was long filename support. Now I have a Symbian phone and an
Android tablet, but I have no idea how to decrypt messages on those
devices. The source of pgp and GnuPG is freely available, but without a
C compiler you need to port them to the Symbian version of C and the
Google Java clone, or write a compiler yourself. The first task is a
huge effort I'm not sure I could even do myself and I'm certainly not up
to the second.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers         //  Physics and science fiction site:
johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl   //  http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html