Public keys on smartcard

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Mar 31 16:52:49 CEST 2011

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 15:51, gpgikaros at armax.se said:

> my pubring.gpg/secring.gpg) I must also have a card containing the
> trustdb-file and perhaps even a gpg.conf file?

No, you don't need the internal stuff like trustdb and pubring.  Take
the public key from a keyserver or another resource and import it.  The
card has a convenient field to store an URL to retrieve the public key
(actually the keyblock with user ids and signatures).  Use the "fetch"
sub command of the --card-edit command.

Cards are way too small to store a non-simple OpenPGP keyblock; many of
them are over 100k in size.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner