How to open Windows GPG encrypted files on Mac OS X

Jerry gnupg.user at seibercom.net
Sun May 1 13:58:07 CEST 2011

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 20:34:01 -0700 (PDT)
insightfulmac <julioesori at gmail.com> articulated:

> insightfulmac wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been using GPG for Windows for some years. Recently I've
> > bought a Mac. I've installed the GPG for Mac OSX, but the problem
> > is that I am not able to open the old GPG for Windows encrypted
> > files.
> >
> > I have installed the GPGServices, so what I do is: open the Windows
> > encrypted files on Mac using the TextWrangler text editor,
> > selecting the encrypted text and choosing Services->OpenPGP Decrypt.
> >
> > However, I always receive the following error: "Decryption failed.
> > No decryptable text was found within the selection".
> >
> > Does anyone know how can I decrypt Windows-GPG encrypted files on
> > Mac OS X?
> >
> > Thanks!!!!
> >

> Hi, All,
>
> First of all, thanks for the answers!
>
> After reviewing all answers, I have solved my problem! As Charly
> correctly pointed out, there is a slightly difference between TXT
> files from Mac OS X and Windows (basically Windows end-of-line
> is /R/F and Mac is /F)... As a newbie in Mac OS X, I didn't know
> that...
>
> The solution was to "convert" the Windows TXT file to the Mac OS X TXT
> format. Then, GPGServices worked perfectly!
>
> By the way: GPGServices is a very elegant solution! Better and
> simpler than all frontends I have used in order to decrypt files in
> Windows...
>
> Best regards!

Please don't top post (corrected here). If you don't know what that
means, Google for it.

Windows, and DOS before it, uses a pair of CR and LF characters to
terminate lines. UNIX (Including Linux and FreeBSD) uses an LF
character only. The Apple Macintosh, finally, uses a CR character only.
In other words: a complete mess.

This has basically always been the norm. I have used many different
programs to convert between the multiple styles without incident. Many
modern applications, at least on a Windows platform, can transform
these different styles transparently for the end user. While I have no
experience with "GPGServices", I am wondering if that isn't something
that should be considered.

From the GPGServices web site:

<quote>
GPGServices is a plugin for the global OS X Services menu, which adds
the ability to almost any application (e.g. Safari, Finder, or
TextEdit) to use OpenPGP functionalities. In a nutshell:

    Any folder: sign and encrypt.
    Any file: verify, sign, import, encrypt, and decrypt.
    Any text selection: verify and import.
    Any text field: verify, sign, import, export, encrypt, and decrypt.

Please note that some of these features are still in development.
</quote>

I am assuming that the disclaimer there is to cover the fact that it
clearly does not work correctly for the above mentioned items when said
item(s) are created on different platforms.

Perhaps filing a request for the feature or bug report might be
appropriate.

--
Jerry ✌
GNUPG.user at seibercom.net