Is the OpenPGP model still useful?

Simon Ward simon at bleah.co.uk
Tue May 3 00:35:14 CEST 2011

On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 11:34:47AM +0200, B wrote:
> But I'm lacking phantasy of how to use this for preventing me of sending
> unencrypted in case that Enigmail does not work properly....
>
> So, if it does not work, the confirmation request will not appear and
> mail goes out unencrypted, doesn't it?

If Enigmail is completely broken, or you’ve disabled the add‐on, your
emails will not be signed or encrypted and the confirmation request will
not appear.

In a non‐broken state with the confirmation option, the confirmation
dialog appears every time you hit send, regardless of whether the mail
is signed or encrypted, and informs you of the signing and encryption
status.

You might be able to verify yourself by choosing not to send the email
immediately (send later), then inspecting the mail in the Outbox.  I
cannot remember if messages saved in the Outbox are encrypted.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall