Best practice for periodic key change?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sun May 8 03:50:09 CEST 2011

On May 7, 2011, at 5:49 PM, MFPA wrote:

> On Saturday 7 May 2011 at 10:21:17 PM, in
> <mid:BANLkTinacQCd+mZ7fL1THLK55X2+u9g5-w at mail.gmail.com>, Jerome Baum
> wrote:
>

>> On digital signatures being legally binding, apparently
>> a scanned bitmap of your signature is enough to be
>> "binding" (as would be no signature), just that it
>> isn't very strong documentation.
>
> What is to stop that scanned bitmap of a person's signature being
> applied to a document the individual has no knowledge about?

Nothing more than would stop someone from cutting and pasting (in the old scissors-and-paste sense of the term) a signature from one document to another, then copying the whole thing to make it look right.  It's just easier and looks better with a graphics program than with scissors and glue.

Incidentally, speaking of bitmap signatures - a "signature" made via a rubber stamp of a signature can be binding under certain circumstances as well (at least in the US - I don't know about elsewhere).

David