Best practice for periodic key change?

Jerome Baum jerome at jeromebaum.com
Sun May 8 03:56:18 CEST 2011

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 03:50, David Shaw <dshaw at jabberwocky.com> wrote:

> Incidentally, speaking of bitmap signatures - a "signature" made via a
> rubber stamp of a signature can be binding under certain circumstances as
> well (at least in the US - I don't know about elsewhere).

Often enough you don't need an actual signature, at least in Germany.
Businesses that use a computer to generate invoices in batches just don't
add a signature, which doesn't make the document less valid. Funny enough
they'll add a sentence saying "this document was generated by an automated
computer system and is thus legal without signature" -- mostly because of
the misconception that a signature is normally "required" -- but even if it
weren't for the "automated computer system", the document would still be
"valid". Remember documents are for *documentation*, but it's the (statement
of) *intent* which is binding. At least in Germany.

--
Jerome Baum

tel +49-1578-8434336
email jerome at jeromebaum.com
--
PGP: A0E4 B2D4 94E6 20EE 85BA E45B 63E4 2BD8 C58C 753A
PGP: 2C23 EBFF DF1A 840D 2351 F5F5 F25B A03F 2152 36DA