Problem with the pgp to gpg key migration

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Tue May 10 08:37:59 CEST 2011

Am 09.05.2011 14:43, schrieb Pramod.R:

> Hi,
>

> I tried migrating the public and the private key from the pgp(6.5.8)
> keyring to the gpg(1.4.11) by following the below commands:
>

> 1)      Tried exporting the private and the public key from pgp using
> the commands:
>
> pgp -kx " " pubkey.pgp
>
>                                 pgp -kx " " sec.pgp ~/.pgp/secring.skr
>

> 2)      Tried importing these two keys into the gpg using the below
> commands:
>
> gpg --import pubkey.pgp
>
> gpg --allow-secret-key-import --allow-non-selfsigned-uid --import sec.pgp

First of all, it is not always necessary to "migrate" keyrings. Renaming
then to pubring.gpg resp. secring.gpg and putting them in ~/.gnupg
(under Unix) or wherever your GPG keyrings go, should work.
If for some reason that doesn't work for you, you can also try importing
the two PGP keyrings directly, with gpg --import
pubring.pkr/secring.skr. "--allow-secret-key-import" is obsolete, as the
man page states.

> 3)      When I tried comparing the pgp keyring with the newly created
> gpg keyring (using the commands: gpg --list-key), I found that all the
> keys have been migrated except two of my self-generated pgp keys.

For the secret keys to show up, that should be --list-secret-keys, IIRC.

> 4)      When I also tried encrypting a plain text using pgp using my
> self-created pgp and then decrypting this using the gpg (after
> migrating the keyring as explained above), I got an error saying that
> gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available, which obviously
> because I cannot see my own keys in the new gpg keyring.
>

> Please let me know if I'm missing anything here. Also do let me know
> if the above problem makes any sense or if you would need any other
> information.

When importing secret keys, you need to manually set owner trust in GPG
or import the trust values as well with --import-ownertrust. That should
not affect decrypting, though.

Bye,
Andreas