Key generation on card fails with key sizes larger than 1024 bits

Sevan / Venture37 venture37 at gmail.com
Sat May 14 18:12:56 CEST 2011

Hiya,
I purchased a v2 OpenPGP card for use with a SCM SCR335 card reader,
attempting to generate keys larger than 1024 bits fails, I've been
able to reproduce this consistently on MacOS 10.6.6, FreeBSD &
OpenBSD.
I was successfully able to complete the key generation process on
Windows, but the card was unreadable afterwards.
I had a brief attempt on OpenSUSE with gnupg 2.0.16 but that failed
flat out to even give me the card-status.

ccd_transceive_failed: (0x1000a)
apdu_send_simple(0) failed: card I/O error

I've set debug-all in my gpg-agent & scdaemon config files to get
better answers,
Attempting to generate 3072 bit keys l get an ERR 100663404 Card error <SCD>
Switching to 2048 bit keys, I can generate a signature key
successfully, then it fails after that,  switching down to 1024bit for
all keys results in the process completing successfully.

Any ideas on why the process fails?

Regards

Sevan / Venture37