GnuPG language setting

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu May 26 13:54:05 CEST 2011

On Wed, 25 May 2011 19:27, janne.inkila at iki.fi said:

> I am having a problem with GnuPG text ui-language. My windows is in
> english, but GnuPG is in swedish. I know I can fix this issue with
> lang=en enviroinment variable, but I am having this wrong language
> problem in several other software also. Regional settings (Control
> Panel\Clock, Language, and Region) in control panel are what I desire,

GnuPG 2.0 uses this code:

  /* Use native Win32 API locale ID.  */
  lcid = GetThreadLocale ();

  /* Strip off the sorting rules, keep only the language part.  */
  langid = LANGIDFROMLCID (lcid);

  /* Split into language and territory part.  */
  primary = PRIMARYLANGID (langid);
  sub = SUBLANGID (langid);

You may override it by setting an environment variable, for example

   set LANG=en

If you use something like en_US, only the part before the underscore is
used.

GnuPG 2.1 (the development branch) uses very similar code.  IIRC, 1.4.x
also uses similar code.

You may also look for the sv.mo file below the GnuPG directory and
delete it.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner