I can't stop encryption being done with a wrong key

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat May 28 12:20:23 CEST 2011

On Friday 27 May 2011 16:50:17 you wrote:
> On 05/27/2011 11:19 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I eventually found where I could disable the key both in Thunderbird and
> > in KMail, so all is now well.
>
> I'm glad you got it resolved!  I think this is more of a demonstration
> that fixing this to do the Right Thing by default in gpg itself would
> have been a boon to both kmail and enigmail (and any other frontends).
>
> If you have thoughts on what gpg should have done in the first place,
> there's an open bug report titled "better heuristic for choosing an
> encryption key based on a User ID":
>
>   https://bugs.g10code.com/gnupg/issue1143
>
> You might want to add comments there describing your preferred behavior.
>
> Regards,
>
> 	--dkg

To be honest, I'm not sure that it is the fault of gpg.  To my mind, both
Thunderbird and KMail should always respect the preference marked as the
default key for the user in question.  It seems to me that it is more of a job
for the address book interface, to ask for the default key and whether older
keys are to be disabled. Or am I misunderstanding again - is that part
actually handled by gpg?

I'll add to the bug report mentioned above.

Thanks

Anne