Possible IPv6 bug for --keyserver option

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Wed Nov 30 20:25:09 CET 2011

On 30/11/11 19:05, gnupg at lists.grepular.com wrote:
> You're correct. tcpdump has confirmed that the initial attempt is done
> over IPv4. Still, the error message returned from gpg is misleading...

I also find the error message from curl somewhat misleading, although
technically correct. I would prefer not to see any IPv6 stuff when it is totally
not configured. I would in that case even prefer not to see a lookup for AAAA,
it is a waste of resources.

If you don't have IPv6, do you consider it unreachable or unavailable, that's
what it partly boils down to.

Do we need error messages for all the things a library /supports/, or only for
those things we have /available/ on our system? It is only confusing to a user
to see messages relating to something they might never have heard of. This time
it's IPv6, next time it's IPSec, then cool-extension-X... so the library should
only return errors relevant to the actual system, so the program using the
library can give relevant information to the user.

Peter.

My key is available at http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~lebbing/pubkey.txt