Possible IPv6 bug for --keyserver option

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Wed Nov 30 23:47:43 CET 2011

On 11/30/2011 11:25, Peter Lebbing wrote:
> On 30/11/11 19:05, gnupg at lists.grepular.com wrote:
>> You're correct. tcpdump has confirmed that the initial attempt is done
>> over IPv4. Still, the error message returned from gpg is misleading...
>
> I also find the error message from curl somewhat misleading, although
> technically correct. I would prefer not to see any IPv6 stuff when it is totally
> not configured. I would in that case even prefer not to see a lookup for AAAA,
> it is a waste of resources.
>
> If you don't have IPv6, do you consider it unreachable or unavailable, that's
> what it partly boils down to.
>
> Do we need error messages for all the things a library /supports/, or only for
> those things we have /available/ on our system? It is only confusing to a user
> to see messages relating to something they might never have heard of. This time
> it's IPv6, next time it's IPSec, then cool-extension-X... so the library should
> only return errors relevant to the actual system, so the program using the
> library can give relevant information to the user.

This usually happens when the OS has signaled that it has IPv6
available, but it's not actually configured on any interfaces. The usual
way to fix this is to flip the knob that says "IPv6 is *not* available."

Of course, a better way to fix it is to get IPv6. :)

Doug

--

		"We could put the whole Internet into a book."
		"Too practical."