The problem is "motivational"

M.R. makrober at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 07:39:28 CEST 2011

 > Over the last year Marcus and me discussed ideas on how to make
 > encryption easier for non-crypto geeks.
 > We prepared a short paper...

Interesting. However, the problem of widening email encryption
practice is not technical, it is motivational.

Broadly speaking, there are those that "have nothing to hide"
(i.e., those that completely lack the motivation - see above,
mid-way in the thread) and those that indeed do "have something
to hide".

Those that "have something to hide" would never, ever place an
ISP or webmail operator on their trust chain. After all, they must
assume that those that they must protect their communication from
can probably secure the cooperation of either or both those parties.

On the other hand, I keep wondering: why are we (and we obviously
are, witness this paper and the initiative behind it) so motivated
to spread the gospel of e-mail encryption among those that completely
lack the motivation for it?

(This *is not* a rhetorical question).

Mark R.