The problem is "motivational"

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Oct 20 11:42:45 CEST 2011

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 07:39, makrober at gmail.com said:

> Interesting. However, the problem of widening email encryption
> practice is not technical, it is motivational.

Right and that is why it encryption must be the default.

> On the other hand, I keep wondering: why are we (and we obviously
> are, witness this paper and the initiative behind it) so motivated
> to spread the gospel of e-mail encryption among those that completely
> lack the motivation for it?

Because we, who care about privacy, are affected by those who don't
care.  Too much confidential stuff (e.g. medical records) is mailed
around in the clear despite that there are strong regulations that this
is verboten.

Virtually everyone is ignoring these privacy policies because they have
no chance to apply them.  It is just too hard to get it done.  People
want fast information and many learned how to use mail.  But they can't
manage to do all this crypto voodoo - if they at all know how to do it
and that there is such a thing.  We need to make it easier - even for
the facebook crowd.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner