STEED - Usable end-to-end encryption

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Oct 23 22:56:57 CEST 2011

Hi Matthias-Christian,

thanks for your comments, I think they are entirely correct.  With respect to
convincing ISPs, STEED is not a complete proposal yet.  The STEED paper covers
the technical aspects of making email encryption usable for the user.  It does
not cover the policies of the parties involved and strategies to break down
walls of tradition.  I think there are good reasons for this.  It is easier to
present the technical aspects in the form of a paper, while the policy stuff
is probably more a learning process that involves entering a dialogue of
multiple parties.  Also, success of STEED may depend on external policy
changes to some extent.  When those happen, we should already be in place, though.

So, you summed it up best: "there is a lot to be done"

Thanks,
Marcus