STEED - Usable end-to-end encryption

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Tue Oct 25 16:57:01 CEST 2011

On 25/10/11 14:54, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> Every now and again I'll meet someone who's interested in learning
> about privacy and how to protect it.  I do my best to help these
> people along.  That's what I can do, that's what's within my power,
> that's the standard I judge myself by -- how well I do what good I can do.

The problem with the current proposal in that respect is that it requires
co-operation of e-mail providers. If there is no significant user base, the
providers don't want to cater for that very small minority that asks them to
implement the extra DNS functionality. And without the functionality being
offered by the e-mail providers, there is no chance to build a significant user
base.

If there was no dependency on third parties implementing stuff for their
customers, this catch-22 would not be there. It needs to be such that an
individual can say "I will install this" and then communicate with people who
did the same thing. If this individual then comes to the conclusion "My provider
does not support this", he would need to be very motivated indeed to do
something about it.

So currently there is no way to only have a few people do this, and let that
group grow slowly.

Peter.

My key is available at http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~lebbing/pubkey.txt