MS Exchange server corrupting PGP-MIME emails

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Sat Oct 29 14:39:19 CEST 2011

On 29/10/11 13:31, Jerry wrote:
> Thank you. I sort of have a contact at Microsoft that might be able to
> lend me some assistance. However, I would need very specific
> information.

Wouldn't the more generally applicable fix be to simply *not* mess with the
layout of messages going through the server? Changing encoding is one thing, and
I believe the MIME spec says stuff about this being accepted, but rewriting the
whole structure and changing inline parts to attachment parts and stuff like
that seems like a sure-fire way to screw up all sorts of different things, not
just PGP/MIME and S/MIME.

Be liberal in what you accept, but *be conservative in what you create*. Plus,
it is not in the interest of the user to mangle their messages. If the recipient
would like to see it formatted in a certain way, he needs a MUA to do that for
him, it is explicitly not the task of the MTA. The SMTP spec has some stuff to
say about this too.

Peter.

My key is available at http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~lebbing/pubkey.txt