windows binary for gnupg 1.4.11 // compilation instructions posted

vedaal at nym.hush.com vedaal at nym.hush.com
Wed Sep 21 02:12:06 CEST 2011

>Message: 8
>Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 13:28:34 -0400
>From: Avi <avi.wiki at gmail.com>
>To: gnupg-users at gnupg.org

>What about us windows users who do not have GPG installed on our
>desktops, but our secure USB sticks. 1.4.11 works very nicely as
>a stand-alone (or in my case, with GPGShell).

>However, I am not a real programmer, nor do I
play one on the radio (I just pretend to be one for the free
stuff 8-) ) and so while I probably could, if I had to, compile
from source using Cygwin or MingW, I'd feel safer if someone who
knew what they were doing did it.

-----

1.4.11 when compiled from cygwin, works ok on windows, but only
within cygwin.

It WON'T work on a flashdrive that's attached to any windows system
where cygwin isn't installed, as it needs some cygwin-specific
dlls.

1.4.11 from mingw, will work anywhere, and is VERY EASY to compile
from the posted instructions,

(I'm not a real programmer either, and only recently have been able
to successfully do 'Hello World' from Python and Perl, and haven't
graduated to C yet ;-))  )

(Compiling from mingw according to the posted instructions, is
easier than setting up gpgshell on a flashdrive, which isn't that
hard, and is something you have already done),

so try it ;-).

BTW,
There is a unique advantage to running gnupg from cygwin on
windows, as it's the only way to make use of unix-like commands,
(cat, grep, printf, etc.) and pipe them to and from gnupg.

But, if you want a possibly 'more secure' flashdrive gnupg setup
that lets you do everything, you can install ubuntu on a (big) usb
drive, boot from the usb, and run gnupg from ubuntu.

or,

Boot from an ubuntu pocket dvd, and keep your keys and stuff on the
usb , and write (encrypt or decrypt) to the usb.

(and you don't have to compile anything ;-)  )

vedaal