List-packets help

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Mon Apr 9 19:56:38 CEST 2012

On Apr 9, 2012, at 10:52 AM, John Gill wrote:

> I'm assuming the the signatures indicate, roughly the set of options that my recipients will not receive an error about ignored preferences.  For instance, symmetric algo 9 has been around for the last 10 years at least. but if I force it on someone who doesn't have it as a preference, the recipient will get a message about my ignoring preferences. For systems that are automated, this message may have repercussions, depending on how they were coded.
>
> I'm identifying any recipients in my keyring that have preferences that conflict with my disabling of specific algorithms and functions.

You don't need to do that.  GnuPG does it for you automatically.  When encrypting to a particular set of user IDs, GPG ensures that the algorithms and features that are chosen are acceptable to all recipients.

In your example, if algo 9 (AES256) isn't available for a particular recipient, GPG will use something else.

David