message signature types

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Aug 1 17:41:09 CEST 2012

On Wed,  1 Aug 2012 16:50, auto15963931 at hushmail.com said:

> So the last question is just how do I go about checking whether one of
> these smime.p7s certificates has been revoked. What is the process of
> revocation in general? Thanks.

There are three ways:

 - Using a CRL.  The address of the CRL is usually part of the
   certificate and used by GPGSM.

 - Using OCSP Responder.  That is kind of online check of a CRL.  You
   can enable this in GPGSM.

 - Use a list of revoked CAs which comes with todays browsers.

Now the question is now to get your certificate into a CRL.  Technically
this is easy.  But how can a user ask a CA to put his certificate on the
CRL is an open question.  You need to ask your CA.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner