Elliptic Curve Cryptography

John Clizbe John at enigmail.net
Mon Aug 13 20:41:18 CEST 2012

Sam Smith wrote:
> Oh, phooey. You are right. I was mistaken. I meant PGP/MIME. I guess no ECC
then?

No...  S/MIME --> X.509. PGP/MIME --> OpenPGP.
ECC is part of OpenPGP with the issuance of RFC 6637 at the first of June this
year.

As Kristian pointed out, the GnuPG Development line currently supports ECC, as
does the SKS keyserver trunk code.

What others such as Hubert Kario are pointing out is that the ramp-up to
widespread use of ECC in _both_ X.509 and OpenPGP will take a significant
amount of time. PGP/MIME-OpenPGP users will need to upgrade to ECC capable
clients. S/MIME-X.509 users will have to wait for client updates as well as
wait for CAs to start issuing ECC certificates.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet: John (a) Gingerbear DAWT net
SKS/Enigmail/PGP-EKP                  or: John ( @ ) Enigmail DAWT net