Using a different OpenPGP card/subkeys with same master key

Olivier Mehani shtrom at ssji.net
Tue Aug 14 03:11:52 CEST 2012

Hi,

I am using two OpenPGP cards from Kernel Concepts. Each contains
different subkeys created from the same master key. I tend to use one at
work, and the other at home.

Now, the work one is currently not available (lost it somewhere), so I'm
using the home one at work. I reconfigured poldi which seems to be happy
to authenticate me with that card, but GnuPG doesn't feel the same.

The card is properly detected, and the signature key (for this example)
that I usually use at home is properly listed, but whenever I try to
sign something, GPG asks for the other card.

This seems to be related to the problem listed at [0]. Has there been
some progress on this?

More generally, I could not work out a reliable way to get a fresh OS
install/user account to recognise an already-initialised OpenPGP card
without copying over the full .gnupg/ from the machine where the card was
initialised.

So, is there something I missed, generally, to make a GnuPG instance use a
card it has not initialised itself?

[0] http://wiki.fsfe.org/Card_howtos/Card_with_subkeys_using_backups#Problems_after_having_used_a_different_card_and_key_before

--
Olivier Mehani <shtrom at ssji.net>
PGP fingerprint: 4435 CF6A 7C8D DD9B E2DE  F5F9 F012 A6E2 98C6 6655