Gnupg-users Digest, Vol 111, Issue 2

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon Dec 3 06:00:41 CET 2012

On 12/02/2012 09:59 PM, Len Cooley wrote:
> I'm beginning to learn about GPG, and I transferred my key pairs to
> GPG. But, these are old keys. I should probably create new ones. Is
> there any good reason I should keep my old decryption keys?

The best reason to keep your old keypair around is pretty simple: "what
does it hurt?"

If you delete your keypair, then if anyone sends you traffic encrypted
to that keypair you'll be unable to read it.  If you keep your keypair,
then you can.  And it's not as if it takes up a lot of room on your hard
drive or impairs GnuPG's performance.  :)