corrupted trustdb

Sat Dec 8 18:28:37 CET 2012

Am Sa 08.12.2012, 10:07:28 schrieb Stephen Montgomery-Smith:
> I inherited a key that was created in 2000.  I have used it to create
> signatures for emails and files for a long time.  But for some reason it
> fails to work with any version of gpg greater than 1.0.4.
>
> Anyway, I am now running into problems that sometimes this key fails to
> properly sign large files.  So I would like to recreate the trusted key
> so that (a) it will work with gpg greater than 1.0.4, and (b) sign large
> files.

That sounds a bit strange to me. What exactly is "fails to work" supposed to
mean? It's a huge difference whether
a) a key cannot create good signatures
b) a key (and thus its signatures) is not trusted

> Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how I can fix my trusted
> keys?  Or should I go ahead and create completely new keys?

You can easily set the trust level for a key:
gpg --edit-key 0x12345678 trust

But that affects your local installation only. That gpg --export-ownertrust
fails may be a hint that the file is corrupted. You could delete / rename it
and run gpg --update-trustdb afterwards.

Hauke
--
☺
PGP: 7D82 FB9F D25A 2CE4 5241 6C37 BF4B 8EEF 1A57 1DF5 (seit 2012-11-04)