US 11 Circ: 5th Am. & passphrase demands

vedaal at nym.hush.com vedaal at nym.hush.com
Fri Feb 24 17:17:16 CET 2012

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org wrote on
Fri Feb 24 05:46:40 CET 2012 :

>The court sided with the appellant, and held that he could not be
compelled to produce decrypted data for the government.

-----

Thanks for the link!
(any family Judges who could quickly point you to this type of
access, whom we also have to thank?  ;-)  )

>That said, it's definitely good news for United
States citizens, nationals and residents who use cryptography!

-----

unfortunate that this had to be a child pornography case ...

(also unfortunate that we can't convince ordinary people to protect
their privacy by using encryption,
while the bad guys seem not only to need no convincing, they use
the encryption so effectively that capable intelligence agencies
can't crack it)

now if only they got a warrant to put in a keylogger before setting
him free ...

vedaal