US 11 Circ: 5th Am. & passphrase demands

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri Feb 24 17:59:08 CET 2012

On 2/24/2012 11:17 AM, vedaal at nym.hush.com wrote:
> (any family Judges who could quickly point you to this type of
> access, whom we also have to thank?  ;-)  )

No, and let's not talk about the possibility of that happening.  :)

They studiously avoid commenting on current cases or controversies.
Doing so is a breach of judicial ethics on the same level as a physician
violating the confidence of medical information -- they take it dead
seriously and deeply dislike even casual talk of the subject.  There are
a few exceptions in the ethics code for subjects like teaching law (Dad
teaches a "Current Cases and Controversies Before The Court", for
instance), but family members aren't one of them.

Whenever I mention an opinion, a brief, anything of the sort, you can be
confident of two things: (a) it did not come from my judicial relatives
and (b) I don't know what they think of it.

Every family has unwritten rules they rely upon in order to keep things
sane.  This is one of ours.  :)