Creating a key bearing no user ID

Hubert Kario hka at qbs.com.pl
Mon Jan 23 17:34:46 CET 2012

On Monday 23 of January 2012 16:35:45 Holger wrote:
> 2012-01-23T03:09:55-05:00, Robert J. Hansen:
> > > Keyserver SPAM is a straw-man argument. Yes, it's possible for an
> > > address to be pulled from the key on a keyserver, in fact, I'm
> > > convinced harvesting probably takes place.
> >
> > As am I.  However, it should be pointed out that this is no reason to
> > avoid using the keyservers.
> >
> > One of the best ways to evaluate a defensive mechanism is whether it can
> > recover from a failure.  Consider securing your home.  A lock on the
> > front door is good, but once the thief is in past your front door the
> > lock is pointless.  It can't recover from a failure.
>
> I'm not a fan of comparisons at all, but I'd say my e-mail address feels
> more like my postal address, thus I tend to handle them similarly.
> But wouldn't you replace or enforce the lock on your front door once s.o.
> made it in? At least you would still keep locking it, wouldn't you?  ; )

And there's a very good reson why you shouldn't be a fan of such comparisions:
Unlike physical security, properly implemented cryptography is unbreakable at
this time.

All key types in wide use are completely broken: tumbler locks, Gerdas, etc.
they can be made useless with only a little bit of know-how and few simple
tools.

The only known working attacks on cryptography use brute force: similar to
going through the wall, when the doors with a lock are too big of an
obstacle.

Regards,
--
Hubert Kario