Creating a key bearing no user ID

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon Jan 23 16:47:34 CET 2012

On 01/23/2012 10:35 AM, Holger wrote:
> I'm not a fan of comparisons at all

All argument from analogy is intellectual fraud, but they can be useful
to illuminate arguments.  :)

> but I'd say my e-mail address feels more like my postal address, thus
> I tend to handle them similarly.

So, you keep all your possessions there?  And eight hours a day you
sleep there, so you're completely oblivious to any danger I might
present to you?

Email addresses aren't physical addresses.  The consequence of one
falling into the hands of your enemies is far, far worse than the other.
 And just like a casual criminal doesn't care that a particular address
belongs to you, neither do spammers.

> But wouldn't you replace or enforce the lock on your front door once
> s.o. made it in? At least you would still keep locking it, wouldn't
> you?

No.  Why would I, when the lock had clearly failed in the role I'd
placed it?  Once a component shows that it's failure-prone, a smart
person revises the plan.

For me, a lock is meant to do two things:

	* Raise the stakes for unlawful entry
	* Delay unlawful entry

"Keep people out" is not one of them.  :)