OpenPGP card stopped working

Klaus Layer klaus.layer at gmx.de
Sun Jan 29 19:59:29 CET 2012

Hi,

after several years without any issue my openpgp card stopped working today on
my Ubuntu Lucid system. gpg --card-status just returns:

gpg --card-status
gpg: selecting openpgp failed: ec=6.108
gpg: OpenPGP card not available: general error

I am using an omnikey cardman 4040 reader.

This is what I have done so far:

1.) checked that the kernel driver cm4040_cs for cardman 4040 driver is loaded
2.) checked that gpg-agent is running:
3.) started the pcscd which is normally not required, than started pcsc_scan.
pcsc_scan detects openpgp as the inserted smartcard. pcsc_scan detect
insert/remove of the openpgp card
4.) inserted a brand new openpgp card, but the error stays the same
5.) replaced the cardman 4040 reader with a new 4040 reader, but the error
stays the same

I am out of ideas, and google did not help further. Can someone please give me
a hint, how I can make my openpgp card working again.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Klaus