OpenPGP card stopped working

Klaus Layer klaus.layer at gmx.de
Sun Jan 29 22:27:02 CET 2012

Klaus Layer <klaus.layer at gmx.de> wrote on 29.01.2012:
> Hi,
>
> after several years without any issue my openpgp card stopped working today
on
> my Ubuntu Lucid system. gpg --card-status just returns:
>
> gpg --card-status
> gpg: selecting openpgp failed: ec=6.108
> gpg: OpenPGP card not available: general error
>
> I am using an omnikey cardman 4040 reader.
>
> This is what I have done so far:
>
> 1.) checked that the kernel driver cm4040_cs for cardman 4040 driver is
loaded
> 2.) checked that gpg-agent is running:
> 3.) started the pcscd which is normally not required, than started
pcsc_scan.
> pcsc_scan detects openpgp as the inserted smartcard. pcsc_scan detect
> insert/remove of the openpgp card
> 4.) inserted a brand new openpgp card, but the error stays the same
> 5.) replaced the cardman 4040 reader with a new 4040 reader, but the error
> stays the same

Ok, I resolved the issue.

I added

verbose
debug 1024
debug-ccid-driver
log-file /home/user/scdaemon.log

to ~/.gnupg/scdaemon.conf and found out that the permissions of /dev/cmx0 did
no longer allow others to r/w to the device. Somehow the udev rules to set
scard group for /dev/cmx0 vanished from my system. After recreating a rules
file /etc/udev/rules.d/40-gnupg.rules with

SUBSYSTEM=="cardman_4040", GROUP="scard", MODE="0660"

it works again.

Regards,

Klaus