How to "activate" gpg.conf entries?

Kristian Fiskerstrand kristian.fiskerstrand at sumptuouscapital.com
Wed Jul 11 19:12:10 CEST 2012

On 2012-07-11 17:57, Sam Smith wrote:
> > For clearsigned messages, yes, for a message sent to someone else
> while using their public key,
> > it will depend on the capabilities specified in their preference.
>
> which command states this preference for when a message is sent to
> someone using their public key? the "default-preference-list" is for
> gen new key. Is it also used to tell others what preference I have for
> when they digitally sign a message that is intended for me? Or is
> there another command that specifies my preference for when they sign
> a message that is intended for me?

When public keys are involved it is necessary to determine common
capabilities between the preferences of all.

You can see these preferences e.g using gpg2 --edit-key 0xABCDEF01 and
type "showpref".

To set this preference for your own public key you'd use "setpref",
which can also be used to update in accordance with the
default-preference-list you set in gpg.conf. Note that for others to see
the changes they will need an updated copy of the public key (typically;
re-send it to the keyservers).

--
----------------------------
Kristian Fiskerstrand
http://www.sumptuouscapital.com
Twitter: @krifisk
----------------------------
Corruptissima re publica plurimæ leges
The greater the degeneration of the republic, the more of its laws
This email was digitally signed using the OpenPGP
standard. If you want to read more about this
The book: Sending Emails - The Safe Way: An
introduction to OpenPGP security is now
available in both Amazon Kindle and Paperback
format at
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RSG1S4/
Public PGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at http://www.sumptuouscapital.com/pgp/